|Me, cheesing with Pam Houston|
Pam's work inspires my work, so during the question and answer period after she read from her new novel, Contents May Have Shifted, I asked her how reading plays into her own writing. She indicated that Lorrie Moore's Self-Help acted as a blueprint for her first short story that gave birth to Cowboys Are My Weakness. Reading is a big damn deal for writers. Or at least it should be. So Pam gave us a list of this year's books she felt strongly enough about to mention.
A Reading List from Pam Houston:
- Battleborn, Claire Vaye Watkins
- Wild, Cheryl Strayed (Pam added a side note that she's typically not a big fan of super popular books, but this was a winner.)
- Absolution, Patrick Flanery
- When Women Were Birds, Terry Tempest Williams
- Canada, Richard Ford
And a few from me...
- The Next Right Thing, Dan Barden
- Waltzing the Cat, Pam Houston
- The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving, Jonathan Evison
He's gained almost 10 lbs, and the vet thinks he has a thyroid issue...runs in the family. We had some photos taken in the fall. Kind of cheesy but kind of fabulous...you know that they are!