Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Get Curious with Music Magic

Last week I attended a yoga class at CITYOGA that I don't usually attend. I am trying new classes to fit around my training schedule for the Indy 500 Mini Marathon (There, I put it out there. Now, I have to be accountable to all 40-something of you.) During the yoga practice, my teacher said that she wants us to dedicate the practice to curiosity. She guided our practice by adjusting our alignment and showing us curious ways to check in on our alignment. That resulted in muscle aches in places I didn't know I had. Hurts so good! Seriously, all the muscles around my spine were sore - that's a good thing!


So, the yoga teacher encouraged us to take this curiosity with us throughout our day. "Maybe try a food you've never tried," she said. "Or, maybe take a different way home and drive down a street you've never traveled."


Well, on my way home from work that night, I decided to get curious. I did something so risky and wild. I changed my radio dial from its steadfast WTTS 92.3. I know - crazy - I am a loyal listener!!! The only time its not on WTTS is when it hits 88.1 so that my FM Transmitter can play my iPod. That had been the case for several days and weeks, playing the same "Obsess Much" playlist over and over again. The same obsessive thoughts kept spinning and cycling through my head over and over again - kind of insane like. Alright, I was feeling a little blue and kept playing music to make me feel blue. What in the world is up with that?!


Getting curious with my radio dial changed all of that. That night I turned the radio to 93.9 (I-94.) Music magic happened. In an instant I snapped out of my funk. I rediscovered a song that I had previously never gave more than a single listen. Now, it is my new "repeater." It motivated me the next day to power out a 3,300-word whitepaper. I can even listen to my "Obsess Much" playlist without the funky thoughts circling around in my head like gerbil. Getting curious changed my perception, my truth. Thank you, Alanis Morissette.



1 comment: