Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Is This Love?

I was telling my mom how two of my clients and I tell each other, "I love you," from time to time. Grown adult men tell me they love me in a professional relationship. Granted I have worked to foster and maintain strong relationships with both of them. One is a mentor and one is just one my dearest friends. I also told her how I never get off the phone with a handful of friends (female and male) without say, "I love you." Mom said "I just think that word 'love' gets thrown around too easily these days." 


Perhaps, she is right? Is this love?
I love my family - immediate, extended and chosen.
I love Moose.
I love my dear girlfriends. L.Y.L.A.S! (and their precious offspring)
I love writing.
I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I mean, I really love these!
I love having my very own personal relationship with a loving God.
I love blaring music in my car and singing from the top of my lungs.
I love dancing to the point of hot sweatiness to live music.
I love the idea of true love. 


I yearn for that "one true love" in my life even though I don't fully believe such a thing exists. I have loved men in my life, deeply, with all that I could give of my heart. In each of those relationships, I thought, "This is the one." But, they weren't. They were the one for that time in my life. Today, I am working to love myself fully enough to let the idea of true love to just be the icing on my already sweet, self-made cake. I receive deep love from so many amazing people in my life. This idea of "true love" cannot forsake the love I already have. Love comes in so many forms and according to following definition, I think love fits appropriately to define many relationships full of affection. My favorite definition is #4 even though it may be the trickiest form of love to offer. 


Merriam-Webster defines "LOVE":

Definition of LOVE

1
(1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt bylovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates>b : an assurance of affection <give her my love>
2
: warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion <love of the sea>
3
a : the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration<baseball was his first love>(1) : a beloved person : darling —often used as a term of endearment (2) British —used as an informal term of address
4
a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind(2) : brotherly concern for othersb : a person's adoration of God
Can any one of us define this word that weighs so heavily in our emotions and actions? A word that has started wars? A word that riddles through nearly every song? A word that drives a man to cut off his own ear? A word that elicits physical reactions?


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love you! I am still working on our grateful post. Have some other stuff to push out first this week. Stay tune!

      Delete