Sunday, March 6, 2011

What's the Point of a Blog?

      At Sunday night family dinner, my dad said "Hey. I got all caught up on your blog."  I cringed a bit because there couldn't have been that much to read since I had not posted all that much.  Then he says, "So what's the point of a blog?  Is it like an online journal?" 
     "Well, Dad, it most certainly can be an online journal for others to read."  That's pretty much what Random Thoughts and Corn Stalks is most of the time, I explained to him.  I started to think of the very first blog I read regularly, about 5 years ago.  It was called TEB's Page and communicated heart-wrenching yet humorous accounts of one young woman's battle with melanoma.  I had never met this woman but became deeply connected to her chronicles.  I cried when the last post came from her husband who was now a widower. To me, that was much for than a journal.
      Good ol' Bossy is a humor blog (You know - the lady that inspired this blog.)  I have tried to incorporate a bit of that here, but I don't think I can claim to be a humorist or can I (I AM HUMORIST...nope, doesn't roll of the tongue)?  I told Dad that I read blogs for entertainment and that sadly, the most news I get is from Bossy's blog.  "Blogs play so many different roles, Daddio." The conversation continued on to the business and marketing side and the opportunities blogs create for a business to have a personality and to engage their audience with regular interactive messages.  
      I started a blog just to write and now blogging is my livelihood.  If I could get as connected so quickly to the blogosphere, I believe there must be a supply and demand connection (I took Economics in Spanish while studying in Madrid; I am pretty sure I absorbed nada from that class.)  Businesses want blogs but don't want to write blogs.  I want to write blogs.  Yay for supply and demand! 
*Note: I wrote this last Sunday and today had family lunch where dad reminded me that I had not posted since 2/24...thanks for keeping me accountable, Pops...and for reading!


MOOSE UPDATE:
This is a horse hitchy thing; not Lilli's head.
Moose, Lilli, and I took advantage of the nicer weather this week and took some neighborhood walks.  I love our historic Meridian-Kessler neighborhood.  Every season brings a new reason to admire the homes and yards.  We never take the same route and my "favorite" house changes everyday.  Oh...the MOOSE UPDATE...well, we walked and discovered an interesting   horse hitching post.  I have seen them in throughout the neighborhood.  I know our house was built in 50's, long after horses were the main mode of transportation, so I am not sure of the significance of these horse hitches in the neighborhood (Bueller? Bueller?).

No comments:

Post a Comment