Friday, November 12, 2010

Frog's Hair

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right." 
- Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia, Scarlet Begonias.

I spend a lot of time at Last Chance Wrecker across from Angie's list.  That is where I must go to get "fresh air" because Angie's list is a fresh air-free campus (it's opposite day.)  Many personal revelations occur for me at this tow joint.  Just today, I asked James, one of the drivers how he was doing.  He answered, "Finer than a frog's hair...and frog's hair must be mighty fine."  While this was not an earth-shattering revelation, it was nonetheless interesting.
I like James.  He sits on the green, wooden bench with me to take in some fresh air sometimes.  I'd guess that he is in his mid-sixties; he's all gray with a gray beard and wears silver aviatoresque sunglasses.  On one of the 70-degree, sunny November days this week, I was outside reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.  James came over and said, "Hey, young lady.  It's nice to have another reader around here."  That just was not what I was expecting to come out of Jame's gray-bearded mouth.  He went on to tell me that he spends many hours sitting in the truck late at night so he reads a lot of books waiting for the next pick up - yet another reason to never judge a book by it's cover.


More "Last Chance" stories to come.  Mr. Ed brought me to tears last week...in a good, heart-warming way.


***MOOSE UPDATE***
          NO CLUE.



1 comment:

  1. Emily Hahn Bartlett likes this post. I love writing random things like that. That's the beauty of a blog. You can write whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete